Starting from May 17, 2023, Nigeria’s major telecommunications companies will no more make use of separate shortcodes for performing operations like data balance, airtime recharge, etc. However, with this new harmonised approach, all telcos will be using the same code for these services.
As of May 17, 2023, the old codes used by MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile subscribers will no longer function, and consumers are advised to familiarise themselves with the new codes for different services.
This standardisation of shortcodes is part of the NCC’s regulatory modernisation program, which is expected to improve the overall quality of experience for telecom consumers.
New unified codes for MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9Mobile
- 300 is the code for Call Centre/Help Desk on all mobile networks
- 301 for voice Mail Deposit
- 302 for Voice Mail Retrieval
- 303 for Borrow Services
- 305 for STOP Service;
- 310 for Check Balance
- 3111 is for credit recharge.
- 312 is for Data Plan
- 321 is for Share services.
- 323 is for Data Plan Balance
- 996 is now for verification of subscriber identity module (SIM) registration or NIN-SIM linkage.
- 2442 is retained for Do-Not-Disturb (DND) unsolicited messaging complaint management.
- 3232 is also retained for porting services, otherwise called mobile number portability.