“What is happening in Imo makes me angry” — Okorocha says after gunmen attacked his convoy

Former governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, has condemned an attack on his convoy by gunmen in Imo state that left a police officer dead on Sunday.

It was gathered that the ex-governor’s covey was attacked at Ihube community on the Okigwe-Enugu Expressway on his way to attend the burial ceremony of Emeka Ihedioha’s mother in the Mbaise area of the state.

"What is happening in Imo makes me angry", Okorocha says after gunmen attacked his convoy
Former Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha

According to Okorocha who spoke during the birthday celebration of Samuel Anyanwu at Amaimo in the Ikeduru Local Government Area of Imo State, the killing of the cop was unfortunate and the deceased was one of the policemen deployed from the state Government House to take him to the burial ceremony of Ihedioha’s mother.

Okorocha said, “I am angry; I am very angry. I am angry because I spent two days in Enugu and nothing happened to me but it is in my own state that the convey released to me by the governor of Enugu State to attend the burial ceremony of Ihedioha’s mother at Mbaise that was attacked and one policeman killed.

“What is happening in Imo State makes me angry. Many people who are running to govern Imo State are not capable but I have seen one man who the cap fits. When it is time I will speak.”

One of the ex-governor’s aides, who spoke to our correspondent in confidence, said the vehicles in the convoy, including a Sports Utility Vehicle, a bus and a Hilux, were shattered by bullets.

He said two other security agents were kidnapped by the attackers but were released the same day.

In other news, the Former Governor of River State, Nyesom Wike, on Sunday, alleged that he was poisoned at the secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in 2018 during his governorship campaign for a second tenure.

According to the former governor, who disclosed this during a special Thanksgiving service organised by his family at the St. Peters Deanery, Rumuepirikom, Obio-Akpor area of the state, his liver and kidneys stopped working and it took the intervention of God and doctors to save his life.

Narrating how it all happened, the former governor said he was flown to Beirut at midnight, where doctors informed him that his liver and kidneys were gone and at that moment, everybody around him became a suspect.

Wike said: “God was in charge, everybody who knew how we came to power in 2015, knew it was turbulent.

“But God saw us through. When you are in office, many people think things are going well with you. Nobody wants to find out the problems you are facing as a human.

“In December 2018, it was the day my former Chief of Staff was going to have Thanksgiving. I was to attend that Thanksgiving. From that Sunday on, I never came down from my room. It was bad.

“But those who attended the January 1 state banquet of 2019 will know that I never spoke that day. I just sat down there and told the deputy governor to speak on my behalf. I thought it was over.

“I didn’t know I had been poisoned at our party’s secretariat, the doctors, after some treatments, returned and told me my organs had started working again.”

Show More