“Social media lied to me” – South African lady shares Lagos experience, dismisses kidnapping fears
A South African lady has sparked reactions online after sharing her experience regarding safety concerns and negative reports she received about visiting Lagos, Nigeria.
In a viral video posted on X (formerly Twitter), the lady revealed that she had been warned not to visit Lagos because she could be kidnapped.
However, she dismissed the claims while showing herself walking freely at night in Lekki.
In her words:
“This is Lagos at midnight. They said I shouldn’t come to Lagos, that they will kidnap me. Look at me walking in the street of Lekki with our phones out, nothing is happening.
If you listen to social media people, you wouldn’t go anywhere in life. They made it look like if I walk anywhere I’ll be kidnapped. Where are they now? Where are the people?”
The video, reportedly recorded around 12am in Lekki with the time visibly displayed on her phone, has since generated mixed reactions online.
While some social media users agreed with her, saying Lagos is often exaggerated as unsafe, others argued that security concerns should not be dismissed entirely.
One user wrote, “It’s easy to walk in Lekki. Try Kaduna and tell us your experience.” Another added, “It’s good nothing happened to you, but security concerns are still real.”
The conversation continues to trend as netizens debate the realities of safety in Lagos compared to other parts of the country.
Watch video below…
"We were told not to come to Nigeria that we will be kidnapped. This is 12 midnight and we are walking safely on the street with our phones out. Nigeria is relatively safer than South Africa." – South African lady says. pic.twitter.com/59WUOhyd5n
— Osas (@osazenoo) February 19, 2026




