Sport

Benfica cite ‘defamation campaign’ in Prestianni case

Benfica say there is a “defamation campaign” against Gianluca Prestianni after UEFA opened an investigation into allegations he racially abused Vinicius Jr.

The incident occurred during Tuesday’s Champions League tie against Real Madrid, which was halted for 10 minutes in the second half.

Vinicius reported alleged abuse to referee Francois Letexier, prompting activation of UEFA’s anti-racism protocol as Madrid’s players temporarily left the field.

Vinicius later wrote on Instagram: “Racists are, above all, cowards.”

Prestianni has denied directing racist language at the Brazilian. If found guilty, he could face a minimum 10-match suspension in European competition.

Benfica cite ‘defamation campaign’ in Prestianni case
Gianluca Prestianni – Getty image

 

Benfica back player

In a statement posted on their official X account, Benfica defended the 20-year-old and questioned the basis of the accusation.

“Given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they claim to have heard,” the club said, alongside video footage of the incident.

Benfica added they “fully support” Prestianni’s version of events and stated: “[Prestianni’s] conduct in the service of the club has always been guided by respect for opponents, institutions and the principles that define Benfica’s identity.”

“The club regrets the defamation campaign of which the player has been a victim.”

Manager Jose Mourinho said after the match that he had been told different accounts by both players. He also referenced club legend Eusebio as a symbol of Benfica’s values.

Criticism and global reaction

Benfica’s stance has drawn criticism. Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out said the club and manager had “failed” in their response.

Chair Sanjay Bhandari told BBC Sport: “It’s a natural inclination to want to believe your player, but the reality is they didn’t hear it.

“There’s only two people who are in that conversation and two people who could have heard what was said.”

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said he was “shocked and saddened” and praised the referee for applying the protocol.

“There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” he added.