So you’re using an Android device and want to chat with your BBM friends? No problem! BlackBerry Messenger is now available for not only BlackBerry users but Android and iOS as well. BBM is totally free to use and is a great way to stay in touch with your friends without the worry of text messaging or other bulky messaging apps.
Getting up and running with BBM on your Android device is easy, but if you’re having trouble we’re here to help. Keep reading for a full walkthrough of using BBM on your Android device.
*Please note that during the initial rollout not all users will be able to access BBM immediately and may have to sign up to be notified when access is available*
- First things first – you’ll need an Android device to install BBM.
- Head to the Google Play Store and download BBM (free) to your device here.
- Once installed, tap on the icon to start the BBM service.
- If you’re already a BBM user and want to use your current BBID, enter your login details on the screen. If you’re new to BBM or want to use a different BBID, you can register here as well.
- Tap the overflow icon (3 dots)
- Tap Invite to BBM
- Choose the method by which to invite a contact
- Enter any info as needed.
- When the contact accepts your request they will be added to your contact list
- To start a new chat, tap the BBM icon in the top right corner (the one with the + sign)
- Search for or choose a contact from the list
- Tap the contact, enter your message and choose Send
- To start a multiperson chat with more than one contact, tap the overflow icon (3 dots) then tap Start Multiperson Chat
- Enter the contacts to which you want to send your message
- Enter you message and tap Send
- To access the settings menu, tap the overflow icon (3 dots) then choose Settings
- Here you can change things such as notification tone, contact list layout, update options, chat history and more
- To send a broadcast message to all of your contacts, tap the overflow icon (3 dots) then choose Broadcast Message. Enter your message and tap Send.
- To quickly view your contacts list, tap the Contacts icon
- To quickly view groups tap the Groups icon
The BBM service will stay running in the background of your device. You’ll see a small BBM icon in your notification bar so you know that the service is active and ready to send or receive messages.