The Nigerian military has declared the pro-Biafra separatist group, IPOB, a “terrorist organisation.”
Clashes between soldiers on a military operation and IPOB members in Abia State have left several people wounded. Although there have been reports of deaths particularly of IPOB members, none has been confirmed.
IPOB and its leader, Nnamdi Kanu are campaigning for an independent country of Biafra made up of ethnic Igbos. Although they had said their campaign was non-violent, Mr. Kanu said this week that that stance would be reviewed, accusing the military of attacking unharmed members of his organisation.
PREMIUM TIMES also reported how the police in Abia State blamed IPOB for the burning of a police station in Aba, where a dusk to dawn curfew has since been imposed.
In his statement, Mr. Enenche, a major general, listed five reasons the military considered for labelling IPOB a terror group.
These include “The formation of a Biafra Secret Service, claimed formation of Biafra National Guard, unauthorised blocking of public access roads; extortion of money from innocent civilians at illegal road blocks, and militant possession and use of weapons (stones, molotov cocktails, machetes and broken bottles among others) on a military patrol on 10 September 2017.”
Read the military’s full statement below.
PUBLIC AWARENESS ON THE STATE OF INDEPENDENT PEOPLE OF BIAFRA
1. The Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) group which has posed to be a security challenge in the Country, has been metamorphosing from one stage to the other. After due professional analysis and recent developments, it has become expedient, to notify the general public that; the claim by IPOB actors that the organization is non-violent is not true. Hence, the need to bring to public awareness the true and current state of IPOB. In this regard, some of their actions, clandestinely and actively, that has been terrorising the general public among others include;
a. The formation of a Biafra Secret Service.
b. Claimed formation of Biafra National Guard.
c. Unauthorised blocking of public access roads.
d. Extortion of money from innocent civilians at illegal road blocks.
e. Militant possession and use of weapons (stones, molotov cocktails, machetes and broken bottles among others) on a military patrol on 10 September 2017.
f. Physical confrontation of troops by Nnamdi Kanu and other IPOB actors at a check point on 11 September 2017 and also attempts to snatch their rifles.
g. Attack by IPOB members, on a military check point on 12 September 2017, at Isialangwa, where one IPOB actor attempted to snatch a female soldier’s rifle.
3. From the foregoing, the Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to confirm to the general public that IPOB from all intent, plan and purpose as analysed, is a militant terrorist organisation. Therefore, parents and particularly unsuspecting residents of the South East and other Nigerians should advice their wards to desist from joining the group.
4. The Defence Headquarters restates its commitment to handling all the security challenges in the Country and further assures all Nigerians of the protection of lives and property.
Singer, B-Red, acquires ₦120 million house in Lagos
Singer Adebayo Adeleke, better known by his stage name B-Red, has just acquired a N120 million house in Lagos. He...
Former housemates, Celebs, Okorochas’ son and fans storm CeeC’s sport wear launch in style (Photos)
On Sunday May 19,2019 Big Brother Naija star Cynthia Nwadiora A-K-A CeeC launched her sports wear brand Cegar. In Attendance...
Teebillz issues stern warning to Ruggedman as he sympathizes with Naira Marley
Tiwa Savage‘s ex-hubby, Teebillz has shared his opinion on the travails of Naira Marley who has been remanded in EFCC...
Hushpuppi Buys N71m 2018 Mercedes Maybach S650 (Video)
Flamboyant Dubai-based Nigerian big boy, Ray Hushpuppi, has acquire a new 2018 Mercedes Maybach S650 which is worth N71M ($198,700).He...
Bobrisky defends Naira Marley and says short prayer for him
Shortly before Naira Marley was to appear in court for internet fraud charges, controversial cross-dresser, Bobrisky, took to his Instagram...
My wife says my “Gbola” is too Small – Nigerian pastor cries out
A Pastor, Samson Farounbi, has told an Idi-Ogungun Customary Court, Agodi, in Ibadan, that his wife has denied him s-x...
Lady shocked with content of her piggy bank savings of over a year
A Nigerian lady was left in shock after she broke her wooden piggy bank locally known as ‘kolo’ to find...
Nigerian man finds ancestral pot with padlock and pictures
A Nigerian man identified as Daniel Ogbeide, has narrated how he found an ancestral pot with padlock inside, was tied...
NDU medical student commits suicide after failing his MBBS exam
A 300 level medical student of the Niger Delta University, NDU, has allegedly died after plunging into Amassoma River in...
Nigerian woman says ladies should be allowed to marry 4 husbands
A Twitter user identified as @Topsyken took to the platform to ask what is stopping a woman from marrying four...
- Entertainment News2 days ago
Regina Daniels’ stepson, Emzy, dissociates himself from his dad’s wealth,
- Celebrity Gist24 hours ago
Pastor Funke Felix-Adejumo tells married women what to do when ‘stupid girls’ sleep with their husband (video)
- Entertainment News2 days ago
Stonebwoy pulls out a gun as Shatta Wale attacks him on stage (Video)
- Celebrity Gist2 days ago
Burna Boy Wins African Artiste Of The Year At VGMA 2019 (Full List Of Winners)
- Entertainment News1 day ago
Ruggedman reacts as Kemi Olunloyo accuses him of snitching on Naira Marley
- Celebrity Gist19 hours ago
Naira Marley’s mother in tears as EFCC hands him over to Nigerian Prison Service (Photos)
- BBNaija2 days ago
BBNaija 2019: Organisers reveal what to expect from housemates
- Celebrity Gist2 days ago
Zlatan sings about snitches during his EFCC ordeal (Video)